Start The Sales Year with a Sales K.I.S.S.

Home » Blog » Sales Management » Start The Sales Year with a Sales K.I.S.S.

Are you wondering how to start the sales year off on the right track by setting the right goals and getting back to basics? Here’s how!

We’ve Had Challenging Sales Years

Start the Sales Year with a Sales K.I.S.S. - Sales Tips from B2B Sales Connections

There is no doubt this past year was a challenging year from a business perspective. By most predictions the months and years to come will be as well. Depending on your industry, your company has probably cut expenses to the bone and there is no budget for sales training programs that don’t produce results. 

So why not start your New Year off on the right foot by setting goals and getting back to basics? 

Sales is Like Sports

When a sports team goes through a rough patch, the coach and GM don't design new plays or spend money on a new star player. They call the team together and focus on the basics. They concentrate on what made them successful in the past. The coaches have the players practice the fundamentals, passing, blocking and working on plays which are proven winners. 

As a coach, when I see one of my athletes not performing to their potential, I don't pull them aside and launch into a tirade on everything they are doing wrong. I have them analyze what they can see is occurring. Then we create a strategy focusing on a few key skills that made them winners in the past. During the heat of competition it's not the right time to overwhelm your players with new ideas and strategy.

Start the Sales Year by Getting Back to Basics

The same focus is needed from your sales team.  I am sure you have all heard of the term, the KISS Principal. It stands for Keep It Simple _ _ _ _ _ _! Focus on prospecting.  Are you making the right calls to the right people?  Are you making enough calls?  Have you identified your best market potential? Do you know why your current customers deal with you? Are you finding out what causes your prospects pain and how you can help them gain

As a sales manager you need to take the time to monitor the productivity of your sales team and provide one-on-one coaching as you see problems develop.  Anyone who has read even the most basic business psychology text knows that the simple act of monitoring an individual or team leads to increased productivity. When we know someone is watching we work harder. If you take a few minutes each and every day to properly ask your salespeople about the calls they are making and discuss specific outcomes, you will see improvements.

Start the Sales Year by Setting BOTH Personal and Business Goals

Make sure both you and your team set personal and business goals for this New Year.  They need to determine exactly how many suspects, prospects, proposals and closed sales they need each week or month to make their target.

Getting off to a great start is one of the key components to having a great year. Business associate Ron Vereggen of Rapid Success Coaching provides the following insight. 'If you are on track by March 31st, you have an 80% chance of hitting your year end goals. However, if you are not on track by March 31st you only have a 20% of achieving them.'

Goal Setting and Action Planning Tool

    Looking for more ideas to generate more leads, reduce the buying cycle and close more business? Then download my free eBook, Attract New B2B Customers Fast and Effectively Using Outbound Lead Generation from the B2B Sales Connections Free Download Centre.


    Robert J. Weese

    Aim Higher!

    Robert J. Weese, B2B Sales Coach

    “When you lead a struggling sales division from the brink of closing to over $7.4 million dollars in annual sales you can be confident, Robert knows how to engage customers and build sales.”

    Leave A Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *