Email is becoming a very important business correspondence tool, however few people use it to communicate effectively. Here are some tips:
- Keep your email short and to the point. Always think to yourself, what is the purpose of this email? Know what you want and what you are asking for, and then make a short and specific request for it.
- If you are responding to an email, always answer every question that was asked. Just before you hit send, re-read the original email and make sure.
- Don’t make every email “high priority”. Remember the old story about the child who cried wolf? If you make every email urgent, none of them will be treated as such.
- Keep it on a business level. Smiley faces and shortcuts like “lol” are not generally understood, nor are they considered professional. Spelling and grammar also count. Using all capital letters is considered rude.
- Don’t copy someone in on the email unless it is absolutely necessary. This just clutters everyone’s inbox and can be confusing for the copied person because they may not be sure if they are supposed to respond or not.
For more excellent tips on email etiquette, check out www.emailreplies.com.
To download a free copy of our white paper How To Write An Effective B2B Sales Resume, visit our Sales Download Centre.
Do you need some sales career advice? Are you looking to make a career change but you are unsure in which direction you should head? Do you need some honest feedback on your resume? For less than an average dinner out, you can consult with the B2B Sales Coach every day and receive the personal direction you need.